Igreja da Ordem Terceira do Carmo (in english Third Order of Mount Carmel Church) it is since 1592 this place has been occupied by the Carmelites, constituting the other vertex of the Historical Triangle. First it was occupied by Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and Convent, only between 1747 and 1758 that the Third Order of Mount Carmel Church was built, forming a set with the preexisting buildings. In 1928, when the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and Convent was destroyed, The Third Order of Mount Carmel Church was the only remnant of this set. Made of rammed earth, the internal part of this colonial temple presents rich ornamentation from eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with a rococo altar, friar Jesuíno do Monte Carmelo paintings and frontispiece, which is the main entrance of the façade of the building, made by Joaquim Pinto de Oliveira – nicknamed Tebas.
Where: Avenida Rangel Pestana, s/n,
(on the corner of Rua do Carmo)
Getting There: Metro Station Sé (Red or Blue Line)
For more information contact us!